Heath Ledger died at 28. 10 years ago I watched my last movie in Manila with a heavy heart. It starred him. It was my last semester at UP Manila as a student. My application for transfer at the UP Miag ao remains vague. Next semester I could end up anywhere; a depressed university student or a drop out. That teeny booper movie was memorable to me.
Kurt Cobain died 14 years ago.
I survived the age of 27 because I had a baby.
Layne Staley died in 2002.
I half expected Evan Dando to die before the turn of the millennium but he didn’t. His belly just got bigger and his face much fatter. He just got uglier. It may be similar to dying as his face used to be one of the most beautiful rock and roll faces ever launched.
Now, I wanted to see my friend who I haven’t seen for two years to tell her about this recent death of the (rock) stars that made a mark or two in my /our life(ves).
But she was busy.
I wanted to tell her about the things I have found out. Of my realizations and promises I made with myself.
When we were fourteen and heartbroken over Kurt Cobain’s death, we were also half expecting we wouldn’t reach the age of 27 alive. 27 was sooo far away and all we had were hazy plans of the future. We didn’t even know what to take in the university.
Now, we were just busy. Every time she’s home she’s busy with her mother. And I am always busy with something else. Then it was chasing plans now it was playing with the baby.
I wish we would just stop being busy.
By the time she’s back all of these would be gone and I would have nothing to tell her except maybe how I have missed the taste of alcohol and Melly’s, and the sidewalks along General Luna, especially in UP. These lousy city planners are stealing our youth and our memories.
I wanted to tell her how I loathe the newly constructed flyover that is obstructing our university’s façade. I wanted to tell her how hurt I have been from seeing all the trees in the city being fell down, one by one, by the lousy planners. I wanted to tell her my reasons for going back to school: I wanted to save all those trees and the sidewalks…Because when we were young we were passionate about the environment. I remained passionate. I don’t know about her. The last time she came home she just went to the parlor and didn’t go out for three days because her newly rebounded hair couldn’t be washed and she couldn’t go out without make up and washed hair.
I wanted to tear my hair off my head the way those lousy planners tore the fire trees off the once lovely and historic General Luna.
Galibog man na gani ulo ko sa nag-construct sina…… The earth shook with all the drillings and stuffs, I was almost afraid na marumpag ang graduate building. I don't know an iota about city planning but one thing for sure putting it in front of UP is a no-no for me. Road widening and all but still I feel that the space is just too cramped for it. I dont know Rej, you alone could give me a good explanation for what they have done after all that's your turf sis. I can just imagine myself looking out the window while having my lectures...only to be greeted with cars and fumes and all. Nice view.
ReplyDeleteNow Heath Ledger. I read about his death from the news. Pretty surprising. Too young too soon.
And who’s that friend? :- ) Everybody’s busy these days. Nah. But when I’m back in Iloilo, bring that wonder boy, the robust anaks of ours Gogol, and let’s take the time to smell the flowers. Learned that lesson the hard way:-)
hainkau joyce.
ReplyDeletethe reason why it is there is to decongest the traffic of the city. however the results of the recent traffic survey that our project undertook contradict the "perceived" congested traffic in that area.
to explain further:
boss: "jerilee, when was our survey held?"
rej: december sir. 1st wek decemebr to be exact."
boss: "when was the flyover opened?"
rej: "december 31 sir."
boss: "according to my calculation, the area has veyr low saturation rate SO YOU DON'T NEED A FLYOVER THERE."
'nuff said.